The Adamstown Area Library is a passport office for the United States Department of State.
Passports are done by appointment only. Please call 717-484-4200 to make an appointment.
Our passport office can provide passport photos for $10. This includes 2 identical photos, one of which is required for both new and renewal passport applications.
For complete information about obtaining a passport, visit the Department of State’s Passport Page. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
Travelers can use a valid PA Driver’s License for domestic flights until October 10, 2018. After that date, REAL ID-compliant identification such as a passport may be required to fly within the U.S. Pennsylvania will be applying for another extension, so it’s possible that this date may be extended. For additional information about REAL ID requirements for Pennsylvania residents, please see PennDOT’s REAL ID brochure and the pa.gov website.
For most people applying for a passport, you will need the following items:
- Passport Applications – You can obtain a passport application at the library or download here:
NOTE: Must be filled in with black ink only.
- Proof of Citizenship – You will need the following: birth certificate or naturalization certificate, photo ID and passport photos.
- Birth Certificate: This must be the original, state issued document with a raised seal, file number, and both parent’s names listed. It should say “birth certificate” or “certification of birth” and be issued from the “Department of Vital Statistics.” A hospital “Birth Registration” is not acceptiable. The original document will be sent with the passport application and returned to you. If you do not have an original, state issued birth certificate, click here to obtain information on getting one. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm
- Naturalization Certificate: Either a copy or the original document with a raised seal will suffice. This will be sent with the passport application and returned to you.
- Valid Photo Identification with Signature. Your driver’s license is the best choice.
- Passport Photos. 1 photo with strict specifications must be submitted. You can have these taken at the library for $10 per person.
NOTE: Children 15 and under need both parents to be present. Teens between 16-17 must have proof of parental consent or a parent present at the time of application.
No white out is allowed to be used on a passport application.
The library accepts personal checks or money orders for new passport applications. Renewal transactions must be made with a personal check.
Birth Certificate Information:
Beginning April 1, 2011 all United States birth certificates submitted for minor and adult passport applications must contain the name of the parent(s) in addition to the previous requirements. All United States birth certificates must meet all of the following criteria:
- Show the full name of the parent(s);
- Be issued by the office of vital statistics of the state, county, or city where the birth occurred;
- Show the full name of child;
- Indicate the date and place of birth;
- Bear the embossed, impressed, multi-colored, or raised seal and signature of the issuing authority;
- Indicate a registration or file date that is within one year of the birth; and
- Be an original and certified document (notarized copies and photocopies are not accepted);
- Both parents names must be present on the certificate
United States birth certificates that do not meet these standards will not be acceptable as primary evidence of citizenship.